Homemade Runza (Meat & Cabbage Pocket)
Ingredients For Crust
4.5 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 packages dry active yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Crisco shortening
Ingredients for Filling
2 pounds lean hamburger or ground chuck
2 medium onions, chopped
1 medium to large head of cabbage, shredded
2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon pepper
1. In a large mixing bowl place 1 3/4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Stir to combine.
2. In a medium sauce pan heat milk, water and shortening over medium-low heat till it reaches 120 degrees F.
3. Pour milk mixture over flour mixture, add eggs, and beat with an electric mixer on low until blended. Then beat on high for an additional three minutes.
4. Stir in remaining flour, knead until smooth and elastic (about seven minutes) and place in a greased bowl. Cover with a tea towel and set in a warm place till it doubles in size. (Approximately one hour.)
5. Meanwhile, Brown hamburger and onions on medium high in a large skillet. Drain.
6. Place mixture back in skillet and add cabbage, salt, sugar and pepper. Cover and cook on medium heat until cabbage is wilted. Stir frequently.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Punch down dough and roll out on a floured surface into 1/8 inch thickness. Cut dough into 6 inch squares. (I use a pizza cutter to cut my squares.)
9. Place 1/3 cup of meat mixture in the middle of the square. (Add a 1/2 slice of American Cheese to the inside for a Cheese Runza.) Fold edges to the middle and pinch to seal. Place on a greased cookie sheet with pinched side down.
10. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.