Mulled Wine Ingredients:
To begin, gather your ingredients. For this mulled wine recipe, you will need:
- Wine: Red or white, you pick. And definitely nothing expensive, since the mulling spices and citrus will be the dominant flavors here.
- Citrus: Oranges (or clementines) are classic here, but feel free to add lemons or limes for color.
- Cinnamon: I love the look of sticks, but you could whisk in some ground cinnamon if that’s what you have on hand.
- Other spices: These vary from country to country, but I cloves and star anise are my favorites, plus occasionally a few pods of cardamom.
- Sweetener: Feel free to add your favorite sweetener to taste. Sugar is classic, but I prefer a few tablespoons of maple syrup or honey.
- Extra liqueur: Similar to sangria, it’s also traditional to spike your mulled wine with an extra bit of liqueur, if you’d like. I like a bit of brandy, but any favorite liqueur will do here. (Or again, you can nix this step too.)
How To Make Mulled Wine:Also, I tend to traditional just simmer my mulled wine on the stove. But it’s also easy to make in the slow cooker or even Instant Pot, if you prefer. The rule of mulled wine is just to be sure that it does not boil, so that you don’t accidentally boil off the alcohol. ;)
Just simmer for at least 15 minutes, or up to 3 or 4 hours, so that all of those delicious flavors can come together. Then strain out the spices, and serve warm…
…topped with any of your favorite garnishes, if desired.
So simple, and so delicious. Enjoy, everyone!